My career in art started after training as a draughts-woman, but like many women I took a break to bring up my children and it was during this time that I decided to take up watercolours. I immediately fell in love with them and although almost entirely self taught, I soon developed my own special style of painting. I also enjoy participating in workshops especially in other media, as I find this enriches my creative journey, with the added benefits to my teaching, and although watercolour is my first love, exploring has led me onto the use of oils and acrylics.
Having a passion for painting portraits and wildlife in watercolour, combined with a love for Africa, my work has evolved into an expressively, loose, yet detailed style, conveying feeling in each brushstroke, in the hope of capturing both design and emotion in my subject.
From the first workshop I gave in Dubai, I gained a love for teaching. To be able to share and help others to learn and enjoy this media has led to teaching internationally in the USA, and Europe along with UK workshops and art society demo’s.
I was made a full member of the SWA in 2018, following work being regularly selected and sold at exhibition as a non member in the prestigious Mall Galleries in London. I was awarded the “Derwent Art Materials Award” in 2015, and more recently the new “Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolour Award” at the selected SEAW Exhibition 2017.
My work has been featured in a book on watercolour techniques, included in the International Watercolour Society catalogue, and also used as a book cover. Regularly entering and being selected for exhibitions in the UK, I have achieved best in show, runner up and have had solo exhibitions in the UK and USA. I regularly exhibit in the Mall Galleries and Mayfair, London, along with other local art society’s. My work is in private collections across the UK, USA, Europe and the UAE.
- Associate member of the Society of Women Artists
- Society of East Anglian Watercolourists
- Essex Art Club
Awards & Achievements
- Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolour Award at the selected SEAW Exhibition 2017
- Solo Exhibition. USA 2017
- Derwent Art Materials Award 2015- SWA 154th Exhibition 2015
- Featured artist on Artist and Illustrators portfolio
- Runner up to Best in show-RAA Exhibition 2014 & 2015
- Featured Artist on www.artistsandillustrators.co.uk 2013
- Runner up to Best in show-RAA Exhibition 2013
- Best in show -RAA Exhibition 2012
- Shortlisted for Bert Hamilton Trophy for Visual Artists – RAA Exhibition
- Runner up – Ken Bromley cover competition 2009